Wednesday 9 July 2014

Winter Baby Dress

I love sewing little girls' clothing. It's a shame all of it leaves my house as gifts, but at least I get the joy of making it. Another lovely friend of mine gave birth to another beautiful little girl a few weeks back and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to make something pretty. As little Rachel May was born in the winter, I decided to make a little tartan dress that she can wear and look cute while staying warm.
I used a pattern that I discovered at Lifeline Bookfest this year and drew it up again in a 000 size (my pattern is size 2-4). The pattern is some 15 years out of date, but (I think) converts well to a dress for a small baby to be worn with tights.
The dress features six pleats at the front to give shape to the bodice and fullness to the skirt. The dress back has two large box pleats and buttons up. The sleeves are fitted at the armhole and flare towards the wrist to be gathered onto a cuff. A peter pan collar and white cuffs in corduroy finish off the outfit. I love the traditional colours and fabric of winter, maybe because they remind me of Christmas!




White tights to finish off the ensemble


No comments:

Post a Comment