Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Simple Maternity Dress

I have been struck by the huge lack of nice maternity clothing readily available in the shops. So again, I have decided to make some of my own. The weather is likely to be rather hot towards the end of my pregnancy, so I went for a fine, light cotton voile fabric and a roomy dress design. My inspiration came from Rosi Button.
My new pattern making skills are really coming in handy as I can now just design my own clothes! This dress is based off of an empire line bodice with darts. I simply changed the shape of the neckline and instead of sewing in the darts, I left them out and stitched up the zip opening at the back, making sure that the finished dress will still pull over my head and shoulders. I then attached a gathered skirt with extra length at the centre front (to go over a growing bump without destroying the straightness of the hem) and threaded elastic around the waist to pull in the room left by the lack of darts. I also used a ruffle to add interest to the neckline and finished off the neck and arm holes with self bias binding.
I love the finished product and know that I will get heaps of wear out of it come the warmer months!

My first maternity dress!

Ruffle around the neckline and self bias binding

No comments:

Post a Comment