Wednesday 21 August 2013

Simple Maternity Dress

I have been struck by the huge lack of nice maternity clothing readily available in the shops. So again, I have decided to make some of my own. The weather is likely to be rather hot towards the end of my pregnancy, so I went for a fine, light cotton voile fabric and a roomy dress design. My inspiration came from Rosi Button.
My new pattern making skills are really coming in handy as I can now just design my own clothes! This dress is based off of an empire line bodice with darts. I simply changed the shape of the neckline and instead of sewing in the darts, I left them out and stitched up the zip opening at the back, making sure that the finished dress will still pull over my head and shoulders. I then attached a gathered skirt with extra length at the centre front (to go over a growing bump without destroying the straightness of the hem) and threaded elastic around the waist to pull in the room left by the lack of darts. I also used a ruffle to add interest to the neckline and finished off the neck and arm holes with self bias binding.
I love the finished product and know that I will get heaps of wear out of it come the warmer months!

My first maternity dress!

Ruffle around the neckline and self bias binding

2 comments:

  1. Can anyone pick out for me the best service among those listed on this site? Maternity Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  2. This maternity wear dress is simply stunning! The elegant design and soft fabric make it a must-have for expecting mothers. It's refreshing to find stylish options that prioritize comfort during pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete